Journalism

Midnight Fire

(Story created from bullet points in class)

A cigarette sends a Castro valley home up in flames causing $150,000 in damages.

 

The house is located at 1789 Napa Street.

 

The homeowners, Barbara and Albert Lofton, were taken to Kaiser Hospital in San Leandro.

 

Kaiser Hospital says Barbara Lofton was treated and released. Albert Lofton was kept for observation, but they say his condition is good.

 

The Castro Valley Fire Department says Albert Lofton, 59, said he was watching television while smoking a cigarette. He fell asleep and the cigarette ignited the sofa.

 

Lofton’s wife, Barbara Lofton, 26, smelled smoke and went to look for her husband, but was obstructed by heat and flames. She then climbed out the window spraining her ankle when she hit the ground.

 

The Lofton’s next door neighbors, Ralph and Winnie Gleason saw Mrs.Lofton fall and called the fire department.

 

CVFD says an engine from the Mt. Pleasant St. fire station answered the alarm around midnight. Firemen entered the burning home and brought out Albert Lofton, who was unconscious from smoke inhalation.

 

This is the second fire to occur in the Lofton Castro Valley home.

 

The last fire was also ignited after Robert Lofton fell asleep watching tv, except the last incident two years ago left no injuries and damages were estimated at $15,000.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s